Why no free tier for evaluation? Also what about Eliot.run and Resin.io? How do they compare?

Hi There,

The eval pricing prevents quick evaluation in the enterprise.

The enterprise tier conversely is almost too cheap! :slight_smile: lol

Also would love some detail on how this compares to Eliot.run and Resin.io (which is also in Seattle I think).

Containers is clearly the way with IoT, but also does create a more attractive platform for malicious hacking.

Would love to see some real purposeful activity on this forum :slight_smile:

Surj.

Hi Surj,

Thanks for the feedback. It was our hope the $10/month tier would inspire easy evaluation. Perhaps in the future we will offer promotion codes for a few free months of access. Stay tuned!

Resin.io is a container management framework, that is built into the base operating system. The microPlatforms decouple this (management system vs base os), and focus on secure updates to the base operating system (bootloader, kernel, userspace) something that resin.io does not have. However, resin.io OE layer could be integrated easily if their container management framework was desired. It was decided that we had no desire to lock in users to any one management framework, i.e. resin.io, compose, kubernetes, swarm etc but rather let the user choose. Eliot.run also is another container management framework which I am less familiar with, but I donโ€™t see issues using this on our Linux microPlatform.

So to summarize, resin.io and eliot.run are not comparable in my mind to our microPlatforms, since they are not a minimal, secure, updatable base OS which provides a container/virtualization runtime. The microPlatforms support containers, but do not dictate which management framework is to be used. I hope that answers your question.

I agree that containers introduce more attack surface for security. We donโ€™t rely on base images produced on Dockerhub for this reason. Instead we opt to build the base and derivative images continuously, scanning for vulnerabilities so that our reference containers run the latest software, which I believe to be the most secure software. Also, we mount much of the container userspace as READ-ONLY to limit the amount of damage that could be cause if they were compromised. Itโ€™s a hard problem, but with good security practices most common mistakes can be avoided.

Weโ€™ve recently publicly launched, and communities take time to build. Thank you for joining and beginning to collaborate with us.

Cheers,

Tyler

On a related subject, how does the open source version on Github relate to a paid subscription?